Play Christmas Bingo this Holiday Season
Christmas 2020 is likely to be quite different for many in the United States due to the restrictions imposed by the Covid-19 pandemic. Now if you are anything like us, you will be looking for fun things to do indoors with family and friends during the Holiday Season – so why not print out and play Christmas Bingo!
If you want more fun games to play this Holiday Season, why not download our free printable Christmas Bumper Activity Set!
The History of Bingo
Bingo originated in Italy way back in 1530, where they operated a lottery called “Lo Giuoco del Lotto D’Italia”, which today is still played every Saturday.
From Italy, the game made its way to France in the late 1770s, where it was called “Le Lotto”, and was played predominantly amongst the wealthy. Germany played a similar version of the game in the 1800s, used mainly as a child’s game to help students learn math, spelling, and history.
The British took the game to the next level. In the early 20th century bingo halls started popping up all over the United Kingdom, particularly in the East End of London where they developed “Bingo Lingo” based on cockney rhyming slang.
The game arrived in the US in the late 1920’s and was originally called “beano”. It was at a country fair game where a dealer would select numbered discs from a cigar box and players would mark their cards with beans. They yelled “beano” if they won. Edwin S. Lowe, New York toy salesman, renamed the game “bingo” after he overheard someone accidentally yell “bingo” instead of “beano”.
We think Christmas Bingo works best for 3-10 players. In order to play Christmas Bingo you will need to download and print the Fun Crafts Kids Christmas Bingo pack.
The Christmas Bingo pack includes:
- 10 x different Bingo scorecards (download them via the printable button below!)
- 1 x caller card (25x square caller cards with Christmas shapes
In addition, you will need the following household items:
- Scissors to cut out the 25x square calling cards
- A box or bag for the caller cards
- Bingo chips – maybe use coins, poker chips, games counters or pieces of paper
- Cut out the 25x square caller cards
- Shuffle caller cards and put into the box or bag so that the caller or players cannot see!
- Nominate a caller who will read out the caller cards to the players
- Give a Bingo scorecard to each player (up to 10-players)
- Give each player 15 Bingo chips – worthwhile having a few extra to hand just in case players run out!
- Now you are ready to play!
How to Play Christmas Bingo
The game is played on a Bingo scorecard made up of 25 squares — if you get 5 squares in a row, column, or diagonal, you win!
- The Caller takes the caller cards.
- Players take the bingo cards.
- The caller randomly draws a square caller card and calls from the bag or box out the Christmas shape and then show the players the card.
- Players then look at their Bingo scorecard to see if they have the Christmas shape called out. If yes, then place a bingo chip over the shape.
- Repeat the process until one player has filled all the patterns in a column, row, or diagonal and shouts “Bingo”.
- The first player to fill all the patterns in a column, row or diagonal and shouts “Bingo” wins the game. The louder the shout the better!
Have a very Happy Merry Christmas and enjoy playing Fun Crafts Kids’ Christmas Bingo!
70 Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
Do you want lots of inspiration for more Christmas activities for kids? Then look no further! Head to Red Ted Art for 70 Easy Christmas Crafts For Kids!
The Fun Crafts Kids team wishes you, your Friends and Family a very Happy Holiday Season!